Are you new to gardening? Here’s a quick take on gardening 101 and a few things you should know when visiting our nursery in Dothan.
If shopping for trees/shrubs is a bit intimidating, you’re not alone! Here in Dothan, we get it. And even though we are a BIG nursery with lots to see and choose from, don’t stress. Have fun and ask us for help anytime!
Here are some key terms to get you started as you begin shopping, so you’ll better understand the tags on plants or the informative plant/tree signage we have posted all around the nursery.
A beautiful landscape with year-round interest usually has a mix of the 3 main types of plants – annuals, perennials, and evergreens, so keep that in mind, as you shop!
Of course, the wonderful thing about adding/tending to your yard is it’s something you can work on over time! Trust us, that’s part of the fun 🙂
Terms to Know
Gorgeous blooms throughout one season. There are two types.
- Warm-Season Annuals – bloom in spring & summer
- Cool-Season Annuals – bloom from fall until frost
- Tender Perennials – need shelter over winter to survive
Deciduous Shrubs/Trees – drop leaves, go dormant in fall
- Shade Tree – larger trees like oak, maple, elm…
- Ornamental Tree – has noteworthy color/shape/ bark
- Specimen Tree – planted solo /focal point in yard
Fruit Trees – usually deciduous, they flower before fruit
Fruit/Nut Trees – Usually planted in pairs to thrive